Friday, March 29, 2013

Time to say goodbye...

Trying and failing to get pregnant for so long was a really rough time.  At some point, I decided to do everything I could to make my body healthy, and that's when I met you.  There you were, simple, clean, but to me, so perfect.  There were models that were more attractive, more expensive, but at the time, you just felt right.  So, I took you home, laced you up, grabbed the dog leash (Of course Griz was attached to the other end, it would have been silly to jog down the street just carrying a loose dog leash) and we headed out the door toward the marina and the waterfront.   Your rhythmic pounding on the pavement, the comforting jingle of Griz's leash, and the soothing sound of Lake Washington lapping against the piers of the Marina. I. Fell. In. Love.  

I found something I could do where I didn't have to worry about anything but myself, my dog, and just putting one foot in front of the other, and some of that is because of you.  Together, we got my body on the right track, and I got pregnant with Harper, and what thanks did you get?  None. You got shelved, but once she was out and I was ready to focus on me again, we hit the trails.  This time in the woods, and wouldn't you know it, my body started healing, so much that I got pregnant again with Sawyer (are you sensing a pattern?). 

You were not shelved so long this time, and we headed out the door, in extremely poor shape.  I was so happy when we conquered a mile, over joyed when we passed two, then three, quickly rounding past four, and beyond proud when we made it to five.  I know there marathon runners, and triathloners...  but that's not us.  We are simple in our love.  Emptying our minds, not having to worry about kids, work, family, just soaking in the solitude and nature's beauty.  Climbing that hill, hopping over that tree running as fast as we could down that muddy slope without falling and breaking something crucial.  That's really what we are about.

Miles and miles we ran, the three of us together, and I started to notice a change.  As I was getting stronger, you were getting weaker, less supportive.  No longer perfectly molded to the shape of my foot, you were falling a part, and in fact, causing me pain.  I am sorry you had to hear my loving husband, say that not even a homeless person would want you, but I saw his point.  I knew sooner or later, we would have to say good bye.  You will always have a special place in my heart.  This journey started with you, but it will not end there.  Your legacy will live on in your replacement, and your replacement's replacement.  You will never be forgotten my friends, well maybe someday you will be, because, you are just a pair of shoes, but you have been an amazing pair of shoes.  So to you, I say thank you, you have done more for me, then you will ever know.  With much love, I bid you adieu. 

The first job after Sawyer!

Our new favorite spot
And another

After trying on numerous shoes, your replacement, the fancy minimal trail shoes.


Goodbye dear friends.



1 comment: