Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Farewell to Pine-Cone Man

Sorry I have been so absent blogging world!  Life and work happen, but I had to blog about this one thing real quick.  Have you ever experienced something that has absolutely nothing to do with you, but for some reason it just warms the cockles of your heart?  When we first moved here, I quickly noticed that almost every single day, I saw this elderly gentleman walking around the neighborhood, hitting pine-cones with his cane.   Why did this make you so happy you ask? I HAVE NO IDEA! But it didn't matter what kind of mood I was in, whenever I saw "Pine-Cone Man" as I dubbed him, it made me happy and filled my day with joy.  He always had a caretaker with him, and when it was raining, his companion would be holding a huge Seahawks umbrella over him, so he could have his hands free to whack at those pine-cones.

Sadly, I noted his absence this fall, but not knowing his real name, I decided I would just never know what came of him.  But the amazing Whitney found this... https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/kirklandhighlands/khpCwI1AY4s.

As it turns out, Pine-Cone Man, is really Mr. Mathewson, and he passed away in August.  Although I am sad I will never see him walking around the neighborhood, which I treasured, I like to believe that he loved himself some Jesus and he is in Heaven, walking along the pine-cone lined streets, hand-in-hand with Mrs. Mathewson, his cane in the other hand, which he no longer needs, but keeps at the ready to hit those pine cones out of his wife's path.

Farewell to you Mr. Mathewson, thank you for putting a smile on my face for over two years!

I took this photo last February (from my car) to send to my sister-in-law because Kennedy and I always talked about our beloved Pine-Cone Man.





No comments:

Post a Comment