Tuesday, February 5, 2013

1 Year Later

One year ago, it was early morning, we were getting ready for work, I think my sister had asked me if I talked to Dad yet, of course I knew what that meant, but I talked to him on the phone anyway, and he let me know that my grandpa had passed away.   Even though I was expecting it, it was still hard, I still had to cry myself into hysterics a bit.  The fact that I was 7 1/2 months pregnant didn't help with the hormonal reaction.  But in the end, I knew he was no longer in pain, so probably it was for the best (even though I told myself that, it still sucked, lets me honest).

The last time I saw him was sad, I knew then that it was to say good-bye, but the time before that was even harder I think.  Harper and I had gone home to visit, and we went to my grandparents house to see a bunch of the family who had gone there to help with some landscaping.  I was sitting on the floor of the living-room and Grandpa was in his usual seat, and then he kind of went into his own version of life is short speech, and also told me that he thought I'd married a pretty good guy (I happen to think so as well).  I didn't really like hearing him talk that at the time, but I'm glad I did.

Unfortunately I could't make it home for his funeral.  Luckily, I have some awesome family members, my Aunt Julie sent me a box of things from his funeral, including a DVD of the service, my Aunt Jan sent Sawyer a blanket she had made while sitting with him in hospice.  Even though I'm so sad I didn't get to say good-bye or make it to the funeral, part of me is glad that I didn't have the chance to see him at the end, I can remember him, although frail... still Grandpa-like.

Well, its been a year, and I'm assuming that blogs are available in heaven (obviously).   So this is to you Grandpa Jay... We're doin okay.  The Friederich clan is doing good, growing, evolving, in mostly positive ways.   I'm remembering the words you spoke to me that afternoon, and I'm keeping most of them to myself, just for us.  Keep out of the rough Grandpa.

Just incase you want to revisit... here is the link to the post I wrote before he died:
http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=9060107970721988822#editor/target=post;postID=4227055583398880609


We keep this up on our fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment