Thursday, December 22, 2011

Christmas Traditions

So my family may have been a little crazy at times, but we knew how to do Christmas when I was little.  All of those silly texans would come up (Hi Aunt Debbie!) and it was pretty much the best ever.  All of the kids (except Eric who was a teen and so much cooler than us) would sleep upstairs and I remember hearing the adults laughing as they did the stockings downstairs, yes I knew they were doing stockings, we believed in Santa and did the big santa gift, but I could always tell what stuff came from who in the stocking, especially what came from Aunt Kathy.  We would wake up early on Christmas and our santa gifts and stockings would be there and then the opening of gifts was many hours long, and so much fun!

I am happy to say that we have brought that back on a smaller scale.  We always spend Christmas at Eric's, with some great family and friends.   Christmas Eve we have dinner, usually do something along the lines of what we are thankful for, read the nativity, give Christmas Eve gifts (pjs), then we go home (we sleep at home and go over early in the morning, because well, I love my dogs, and they shouldn't have to sleep alone on Christmas Eve). We get up early, go back over where Santa left the stockings and Santa gift (I'm pretty tight with the jolly man, he knows where to leave the stuff, this year, I have it on good authority he is getting Harper a Little People Fairy Tree House) We are so excited to have little kids around for Christmas and to feel the excitement and joy and magic all over again!

Yes, my kids will believe in Santa, (at least till some evil 1st grade substitute tells them otherwise, yeah, I'm talking to you Mrs. O!  And it is Dr. Seuss!  Not Dr. Zeussy... put my name on the board for the first and only time for correcting you without raising my hand, what do you expect, you said the most popular child author's name wrong to a bunch of 6 year olds!)  I don't think there's anything wrong with believing in a man who's life's mission is to give to all the children of the world, as long as they never forget the true meaning of Christmas and why we celebrate this time of year, and why its truly magical.

Any who, I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and that you are making your own traditions that your children will remember and cherish for the rest of their lives!

Heather, me and Muttly

Grandma Judy

Preschool Christmas pageant... I was a tree

Harper's First Christmas Picture

Harper decorating the tree this year in

No comments:

Post a Comment