Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Tale of the First Carrot Cake

We have a big week and a half coming up, Harper's second birthday, Ryan's thirty-second birthday, Harper's girly elmo party, then we leave for 10 days in Iowa/Illinois... crazy! This post however, is all about Carrot Cake... Random you say?  No, not really.

Let me take you on a journey that is centered around a vegetable flavored cake.  6 years ago, I was fairly new to the Seattle area, and also I had a bit of a crush on the cute guy named Ryan King, and he asked me to go to Bumbershoot (a music festival thing, even though I thought he said bum shoot, and why would I want to go shoot bums?) with him and some friends. This was a very important outing, because it was our first without the presence of Eric Robbins, not that there is anything wrong with him, but you try getting your flirt on in the presence of your brother/pastor.

After a jolly good day, I learned that the next day was Ryan's birthday and I told him I would bake him whatever he wanted, and he asked for a carrot cake.  Well of course I had never made a carrot cake, and it didn't help that someone (not to mention any names, but she gave birth to me) kept telling me that it didn't look right. 

Luckily for me it turned out ok, because Ryan King claims he married me for my carrot cake, so who knows what would have happened if I burnt that sucker?!?  Any who, I have made a carrot cake for the last 6 years (except 2 years ago, but I had just given birth so give me some slack!).  And for an interesting side note, Harper was born 4 years to the day (September 3) that we went to Bumbershoot together, CRAZY!

What is the point of this story?  Didn't really have one, just reminiscing and explaining why Ryan King will have a carrot birthday cake for the rest of forever. Happy birthday a little early Mr. King! Thanks for asking me to go shoot bums, otherwise there would be no carrot cake, and then you would not have married me.

The only picture I could find from when we first started dating... there is a lot of hair happening here.

No comments:

Post a Comment