Thursday, March 6, 2014

Doubling Up!

Alright people, I have a couple of friends who are already prego with their second kids, or are thinking about it, so I've decided to go ahead and give my un-solicited advice, really, its more of a warning.

Expectations
Don't have any, I mean really, don't.  When I was pregnant with Sawyer, I told people that since Harper was such a good baby, probably my second would be a handful, but really, deep down, I was just expecting another Harper, a good, quiet, baby with a headful of dark brown hair. HAHAHA, ugh, I was funny.

From day 1 they could not have been more different, Harpers birth was horrid, induced, 18 hour process.  Sawyer, was like a quick 2.5 hour deal, with Harper I pushed for 2 hours, with Sawyer, 2 pushes and out popped this bald baby, sunny side up, with the cord wrapped 4 times around her neck, she has always been impatient, but also likes to make things difficult.

Sawyer temperament wis was more difficult, she cried, she wanted to be held, she fussed, but she was much much easier to nurse than Harper, and she snuggled, where Harper was never a smuggler until she was like 2.5.

Harper
(I know you can't see her hair... but I don't feel like turning on my other computer, so stop judging me!)
Sawyer


Double the kids, Quadruple the work
Here's the deal, cherish when your youngest can't go anywhere, and can't talk, and can't fight, because as soon as they can, holy cannoli.  You are thinking, well, if I have double the kids, I will have double the work. WRONG!  It's at least quadrupled going from 1 to 2.  Why you ask? because they gang up on you, that's why!

Sometimes, I'm working, thinking, wow, how wonderful, my kids are being so quiet, then I think NO!!! WHAT ARE THEY DOING!?  and I see that the youngest has pulled all the diapers out of the basket and she is wiping diaper cream all over her face, while I'm dealing with this, the oldest is ripping pages out of a coloring book and throwing them on the floor along with all the crayons and then decides that the wall is not colorful enough and smearing wet chalk all over, then I see that my youngest was really trying to let me know not only did she have a dirty diaper, but its going up her back, and is somehow in her hair... while I'm dealing with THAT Bailey (the pup) who has a fondness of crayons is munching on them like pringles and I have to let her go out so that she may get rid of her colorful poo, by now, the girls are fighting over who gets the 1 harmonica we have, and one is playing, one is crying, and Oscar is howling.

And because I'm crazy and work while I take care of my kids (seriously, whose idea WAS that!?) I'm trying to work out what silly snip-it of code is making that page not work correctly, and because I now have poo on the brain, wondering if it would be appropriate to put a poo icon in that info graphic...

So, by the time Ryan King gets home, I'm curled up in the fetal position muttering about jQuery, diaper cream, harmonicas and rainbow poop. Of course, at this time the girls and dogs are all being perfect angels, and I just look like an insane person. (no, I am not exaggerating, this is my life)

This is the girls play room, I've given up, they refuse to put all the toys in the baskets with the cute little labels of where they should go... maybe it would help if they could read?


Coffee, Wine, and Chocolate
No seriously... have them on hand.  I have hidden stashes of dark chocolate all over, and have been known to go sit in my van for a minute, eat a piece of chocolate and take a breather before I explode and get cranky mommy all over my children.

Coffee... I know a couple moms who don't drink it, I can't comprehend why or how.  The idea of that first sip of coffee, is what gets me out of bed at 6 am when Sawyer is screaming "MOOOMMM OOUT".  There have been times when I'm doing dishes in the afternoon (Ugh, do NOT get me started on how many more dishes you have with 2!) and I'm washing my coffee cup from that morning, I'm actually jealous of my morning self, who had coffee, because afternoon self has no coffee. (I really think they left the 8th day out of the bible, when God created coffee, I mean, technically, that 8th day was Monday -think about it-, and God looked down, and saw that mankind was having a bad case of the Mondays, and then created coffee to assist man in getting through the day, and we all saw that it was Gooood. Can I get an AMEN!?)

Then, when a REALLY bad day happens, I feel completely justified in that glass of wine with dinner, I deserve it gosh darn it!

Why in the world do I have 2!?
Because, as crazy as they drive me, its worth it.  I start every morning in the big chair, with a girl in each arm, and a puppy on each leg.

Even though my girls fight (who can blame them, other than the 5 hours a week Harper is in school, my girls are together, they play, eat, sleep and pee together, and they wouldn't have it any other way, I mean, just now, while picking up Harper from school, Sawyer saw Harper from the other side of the door and had a serious melt down because she wanted Harper and couldn't get to her). Then they hugged like they have been apart for years, and not 2.5 hours.) they really really love each other.  It is not rare for us to have to go into the girls room at night because of all the giggling and put Sawyer back in her own bed, because she has crawled into Harpers.

Sawyer looks up to Harper, and copies everything she does (although that might not always be good right now, since Harper is 3, whoever said the 2s were terrible... was a nincompoop), but sometimes it works out for the best, they look after each other ("Sawyer, you better pick up your mess before Mommy's face gets red"), and now that Sawyer is getting a bit older, they play and seeing their imaginations working together melts my heart.

Even though there is quadruple the work, there is also quadruple the love.
(but do NOT be expecting a third little King... because, just no)






No comments:

Post a Comment