Thursday, January 19, 2012

Loves for Grandpa Jay

Its been a tough few weeks for my family.  First my Step Grandma Elsie passed away, joining her beloved husband.  While those she left are saddened by their loss, we know she is no longer in pain, physical and emotional caused by her illness, and we are all better for having known her. 

Now, my amazing Grandpa Jay (my dad's dad) is in hospice after suffering a stroke, and my family are by his bedside, saying their good-byes.  One of the hardest parts, is not being there to comfort them and be with them, as I am stuck here in Seattle (literally, I'm in my third trimester and snowed in, so I can't go home).  The best way I can think of comforting them, is to post some memories of my grandpa, as he would like to be remembered.

Most of my memories of my grandfather revolve around golf... he LOVED golf.  I remember he used to take my sister and I golfing with him, really we would take turns driving him around in the golf cart, usually trying to knock the other sister who was standing on the back off of the cart (now that I write this, this does not seem like a safe thing do be doing).  Either way we loved it, and got some early driving skills.

When I was in college, my grandpa got me a job at The Harvester, this golf course near his house that he also worked at.  He did some kind of patrol... I don't even know, and I was a waitress/bartender/caterer/beer cart girl.  If anyone would be jokingly sassy to me... someone would usually pipe in with "Hey... you be nice, that's Jay's granddaughter!"  I always loved the few minutes I'd get chatting with him out on the course, as he was driving his golf cart and I was doing laps in the beer cart.  I even thought it was cute when he'd mistake our time cards because we shared a slot beings we had the same last name.

I love my grandpa, and I will miss him.  I wish I could be home right now with the rest of my family, but I'm also glad I got to see him this last fall, and that he got to hold his great-granddaughter.  I only wish he could meet Sawyer, and the baby my cousin Tillie is currently growing in her belly as well, but wishing isn't going to make him better, all we can do is remember all the great times we had and cherish those memories.  I also know that he is tired of being sick and of hurting, and not being the man he once was, so don't worry about us grandpa, we'll hold down the fort and see ya on the flip side. Love you lots!


No comments:

Post a Comment